Monday, February 4, 2013

Back for Photos

I was due for a run yesterday so I decided to go right back to where I had been the day before: the Upper Truck Trail, where I could get some photos of the mysterious vehicle remains. Parking at the Ochs Highway trailhead, I joined what would become a regular stream of people enjoying the beautiful winter day. I ran a couple of miles past Ruby Falls, stayed straight ahead at the swtichback and about a mile later I was at the site.
I took the liberty of moving the fender and putting it on top of one of the two sheets of metal where it seemed to fit. The result definitely looks like part of a vehicle of some kind, although the mystery continues. I noted both screws and nails along one edge of the metal sheet. What kind of vehicle is nailed together? Perhaps a trailer? I've never seen such an elaborate fender on a trailer.
The foot pedal, bolted to another sheet of metal, is another oddity. The pedal doesn't look as if it would pivot or move.
The remains of the tires are nearby. Most sources seem to agree that rubber tires do not decompose, and if that's the case these are very old. The only other item I found in the area appears to be an old paint can. Was this just a dumping site? Or was there a paint can in a work vehicle that was abandoned here? Perhaps the frame, engine, and other heavy components were salvaged for scrap. Instead of just running back to the car I decided to go a bit further on the Truck Trail, and eventually found myself at its end. On the trip out I made it to the Eagles Nest for an 11.4 mile run but had to walk the Guild Trail. I've lost some conditioning and had run too far, but at least this time I got the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment